Thursday, August 18, 2011

IF I TELL JOY PREBLE- Struggling with Secrets!

Today we're going to snoop inside the mind of  chat with JOY PREBLE!  Joy is a lovely author I've actually met in person!  She is wonderful!  We share the same publisher and editor now, so it's kind of like being related. Only not really.

I LOVED Joy's first two books and can't wait for the third!
Joy’s debut young adult novel, DREAMING ANASTASIA, a contemporary fantasy retelling of the disappearance of Anastasia Romanov, released in September, 2009, from Sourcebooks, and the sequel, Haunted is out now, too. The third of the trilogy is slated for 2012.
 
So Let's get to the gritty stuff. Are you good at keeping secrets? Why or why not?


I am actually terrible at keeping secrets, which is not to say that I don’t keep them. It’s just that it is a huge struggle – sometimes because I’m so excited about something, like a gift I bought you and I really want to keep it a surprise but then it just slips out. Sometimes it’s because I feel the weight of the confidence that’s been given to me; I worry that this is something that shouldn’t be kept a secret, so I keep my mouth shut but I angst over it… let’s just say that the CIA won’t be hiring me as a spy any time soon.

That makes total sense to me, the excited oh, I have something to tell you. I HATE having to keep surprise parties a secret. I'm always terrified I'll spill!!! And the angsty secrets. Yes. Those are hard too. Man. Secrets are TOUGH! So, what about forgiveness. Do you easily forgive friends for their mistakes? What is something
you could never forgive a friend for?

JOY: I am big on forgiving. You won’t find me holding grudges very often, either. If a true friend betrayed me in some way, that might be hard to forgive.


Somehow this doesn't surprise me about you. Because you are so nice. Yes. I said it. I called you nice! Not that it was a secret, and if it was, well. It's not now. Wait. I'm confusing myself so let’s just go ahead and stereotype you for a moment, okay! What kind of a teen were you, as in what “group” did you associate with?

JOY: Gotta go with the nerds – grade nerds, orchestra nerds, sci-fi fan fiction writer nerds… Geeks forever!

Nerds rule, yes?  So describe your fave *nerd teen outfit. * hee hee. Teasing.*

JOY: Jeans and sweater (shirt and hoodie) and boots – the clunkier and heavier the better. Or skirt, sweater, tights and clunky boots.

Ah yes. The clunky boots.  Todays teens are going to look back fondly on totally different footwear.  Although I had pink and yellow Converse runners and I see some teens rocking those today. And clunky boots come to think of it. Ah. What do I know?  Okay. Lastly, if you could go back to high school knowing now what you didn’t know then, what is one thing you would change? What do you wish you could have told your teen self?

JOY:  I would chase after more boys rather than having silent crushes! I would have told myself not to be afraid of speaking my mind.

Um. YES. I was queen of the silent crushes. I think I would also tell myself to invest heavily in Mircrosoft. Instead of spending all my money on clothes.  Oh. If only we could go back!
 
Joy Preble grew up in Chicago, Illinois and now lives in The Woodlands, Texas, where she has learned to use the phrase “y’all” without any hint of irony and developed a serious appreciation for country music and Friday night Texas high school football. A former high school teacher, Joy earned a degree in English from Northwestern and is married to the guy she met her first week in college when she mistakenly slammed a volleyball into his stomach rather than over the net. Want to know more about Joy? Head to her website at http://www.joypreble.com

No comments:

Post a Comment