Friday, September 13, 2013

Janet Gurtler Website

Okay. True Story. I am not that terribly savvy when it comes to web hosting and web "Stuff".

And when I bought the domain for Janet Gurtler.com I had no idea what I was doing. I bought the domain with one place and then switched to another because, oh,  did I mention I didn't know what I was doing? Paid both places for the same service. You know. No clue.

So a while back, I think I got some notices about the domain expiring. I didn't pay much attention because I wasn't sure if it was from the one I was still really with. I suspected it was spam, and someone was trying to milk money from me. Also...I had it in my head that I had bought the domain for 10 years. Um. Nope. Turns out it was 5.

So. Bottom line. My domain expired. And someone else bought it. And I can only imagine that if I try to get it back it will cost me more money than I'm willing or able to pay. Le Sigh. Someone owns a website with my name on it. That's kind of weird if you think about it too long.

Also, the moment I found out about the website take-over, I also found out my wonderful Web Host over at Glass Slipper Web Designs had a family emergency.  Which is totally understandable and all, but my point is, I don't even know yet if I can get the info that was on my website, back on a new domain site. Ugh. Second heavy sigh.

In the meantime, I'm feeling kind of naked on the Internet. In a manner of speaking. No website at least. That's sort of naked? No??

I'm still pretty easy to find... please don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything while I get this web thing worked out.

write4me@shaw.ca is the best place to find me. Or I'm on Twitter @janetgurtler. Or on Facebook.

So actually, it's not like I'm really gone at all. Right? I'm just not parking at www.janetgurtler.com anymore. Someone from Japan is. I hope he likes it there. Maybe he'll write some really great books and post them for free. Or give out free jelly beans to everyone who visits?

Hopefully I learned a lesson here. Right? ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO EXPIRY NOTICES. Even if you suspect they are fake. Or maybe next time, I'll ask my teen son to help me figure out if they're legit.

Yeah. That.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that sucks! I can't imagine how that must feel, I hope it all works out. I don't understand why someone would want a domain name with your name, unless they share your name, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always use an about.me page, they're free, they take 5 minutes to set up, and you can link to all your other online stuff (like twitter, this blog, facebook, etc.) in the same place, and very easily.

    ...and, you are Canadian, so you could buy/use the janetgurtler.CA domain if that isn't also taken.

    ReplyDelete